There are many people in the real estate market today advertising their services. How do you choose one? Your choice of a highly competent real estate representative will play a large role in your satisfaction with your new home. Below are a few guidelines you may want to use and questions you will want to ask yourself about the sales representative.
- Buying and selling a home is a complex legal transaction that requires a professional. Use an experienced full time realtor. Many realtors sell homes as a 2nd job. A dedicated professional who is passionate about their profession is a huge asset. Make sure your representative is punctual, friendly and knowledgeable about the area you want to purchase in. Your decision should also be based on finding a compatible fit with your needs and goals.
- Agency Affiliation and References are a must! Don’t be fooled by slick ad campaigns – know the reputation of the agency and ask for personal references from the sales representative. Most of this information is available on the internet and your research should start there. Don’t forget to ask family and friends who they recommend as well.
- Your representative should be knowledgeable in all areas of the real estate transaction. You go to a professional because it is a legal transaction. Does the representative know about financing options and home inspections as well as showing you houses? You will count on their knowledge throughout the real estate process.
- What is the availability of your representative? No one works seven days a week, but making sure you have compatible schedules and timelines will ensure you have a smooth transition into your new home. Make sure you know what arrangements will be made for holidays and in case of an emergency.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Was the representative interested in your needs?
- Did they demonstrate an excellent knowledge of the area and real estate trends?
- Did they ask questions about your needs that you did not think of already?
- Were they courteous and punctual?
- Did you feel comfortable with the sales representative?
- Were all your questions answered?
- Did you walk away knowing your needs would be a priority?